Alpha Test Feedback Aug 8 2015

Join us at www.ageofascent.com for a 30 min playtest Saturday, 8th Aug, 2015 at 3pm Central US, 4pm East US, 8pm UTC/GMT, 9pm UK (Desktop browser, mouse and keyboard)

Scores

http://player.ageofascent.com/Home/Scores/2015-08-08/

Release Notes

• In honour of New Horizonsā€™ successful mission, Pluto & Charon adorn this test!
  • Faster end of match score collation
  • Free-for-All (FFA) - all ships are hostile
  • Complete overhaul of the webserver layer for speed (this is the new critical element that weā€™re all testing this time!)
  • Webserver IO is now (possibly) the fastest out there like-for-like, please see here for details
  • Everyone is on Dual Pulse Cannon weapon-type
  • Next playtest after this one will be in four weeks (September 5th)

If you want to know the bigger picture and where we are heading donā€™t forget to check out: About Age of Ascent

Thank you all for joining us on this journey!

I ended up withdrawing from the test because my ping was terrible. My ISPs fault, Iā€™m glad to say. But if you saw me jumping around the place, thatā€™s very much my fault.

ofc, in the fuller game we have to reverse it so that people with terrible (localised) pings get affected by rubber-banding, rather than everyone around them!

Hope everyone else had fun - and donā€™t base your new webserver tech experience on what was happening to my ship!

Regards,

SC

From what I could tell, 15+ is around the right number until it start to get too chaotic to survive. Tests being, staying around the main group at the start, until that is, I had to flee, and shooting when there where 10 people around near the end of the match.

No lag.

No appearance of the mysterious FTL fighter.

1 Like

Absolutely gutted. Canā€™t believe that half an hour went so quickly and itā€™s a month before I can do that again. Great fun to play against the others.

I am a complete n00b at this. Iā€™ve not played a space fighter game since Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64). I was intrigued after the post on HN a little while ago, went to the homepage, watched the video and have been itching to play this since.

I have been stranded away from home so I donā€™t have my usual desk with gaming mousepad and stuff. I also forgot to switch my VPN connection off (so probably +10ms latency), but I didnā€™t notice any latency at all anyway. Crappy UK ISP (Talktalk) and WiFi, but everything felt instant and smooth.

Surprised by how playable this is on a first gen i5 laptop. It wasnā€™t just playable, but it was additively playable. i5 520M (using HD Graphics), 8G, SSD, Chrome, 7x64.

I appreciate why it says desktop, keyboard and mouse. Rapidly discovered that I was not going to shoot anything or fly in any kind of willful direction with my touchpad or ThinkPad nipple thing. Probably a good mouse and a keyboard with NKRO would have been a better idea for me.

I think I need the reticle thing to auto-recenter. Either ā€œmoving the reticle by x changes my direction by xā€, or lifting my finger from the touchpad resets the reticle position. Manually recentering was a nightmare while trying to dodge and fly and shoot. I was overcompensating and lose my bearings. It might be playable for someone that knows what theyā€™re doing, but I was out of my depth.

With auto-recenter, I think it would be easy for me as a complete novice to pick up and play on a touchpad without any other changes. Iā€™ll hopefully be jumping in with a mouse next time, but being playable with a touchpad eventually would make me far more likely to jump in more frequently.

I ended up switching off the mouse flying mode and just using the keyboard. It was much easier. I started killing more and sucking less. I couldnā€™t figure out how to strafe while in keyboard mode though.

I fear if there were more players, Iā€™d get slaughtered too quickly. A lot of my kills had a large element of luck to them, so I think roughly the number of players we had was best for me to start off with. The buzz from first kill has me hooked.

Also I was very glad that youā€™d turned on ā€œno clipā€ or whatever itā€™s called, because Iā€™d rapidly have suicided more than I killed. Initially I was moving around in space like frog riding a bottle rocket. (I wasnā€™t a whole lot better by the end of the half hour, but I could follow and shoot.)

Overall: Excellent fun. When the NPCs all dropped in, it was how I imagine being in BSG must feel. And just dogfighting between a small group of other players was a blast.

1 Like

I agree; though we do have to bear in mind that this is with everyone in reasonably hard-hitting mid-end (speed-wise) ships, and all-vs-allā€¦ When people starting breaking into 2-way, 3-way squads, fleets etc itā€™ll probably all get thrown up in the air again.

Delighted to have you with us, Nexxxeh! Really glad you made it and enjoyed it.

Excellent to know you didnā€™t experience lag at all, even with VPN switched on (and you were actually going a two-way transatlantic for this test).

We definitely have to improve the navigational options (including target lock). Weā€™re also considering having some element of gun auto-gimbal when close to on-center; this is to help cater for the gamepad and touch-API players who have significantly less control than mouse-players. There are a number of elements here that we need to consider, though (for example, is it penalising the more skilled mouse-sensitive players to do so - and should we introduce different gun mounts ie gimballed with some auto-track, but less ā€˜hitting powerā€™ and non-gimballed that requires more accuracy but hits harder).

A and D

It will come back on :slight_smile: But without catastrophic damage; more bounce.

Really glad to get your feedback: many, many thanks!

Regards,

SC

1 Like

Thanks! Although is strafe still A and D when on keyboard mode? It felt more like it was the equivalent of moving the mouse left and right, rather than strafing. But I was struggling to fly, like a small baby bird suddenly finding itā€™s wings have rockets attached. I might have been wrong.

You are correct that with mouse flight off A and D become turn rather than strafe; however we are planning on having fully assignable keyboard/controller/joystick mappings; which will be associated with your account and nameable.

For example you could have a ā€œcombat modeā€, ā€œmining modeā€, ā€œescape modeā€, ā€œpursuit modeā€, ā€œtrackpad modeā€ etc and switch between your chosen mappings while flying depending on how your circumstances change; which should help with this - even if you ever just use one mode and are just changing defaults.

1 Like

Oops. :blush: My bad.

Listen to Thundercat. Thundercat is good. Thundercat is wise.

He also codes all the flight controls, so he knows what heā€™s talking about.

SC

1 Like

Unfortunately i was not able to make this test! But i am very interested to hear it was about Pluto and Charon! So i was hoping someone had some screenshots? I would really love to see a few :smiley:

Anyway i will try to make the next one, also happy to hear you are aboard Nexxxeh!