Alpha Test feedback Aug 29, 2020

The improved controls are great.

It seemed like I was getting a really low framerate when there were explosions or a lot of ships on screen.

Had a great time and looking forward to more.

I’d like to point out that he killed me IN GAME, not in real life…
Anyway, the game was very nice, no glitches, very enjoyable.

3 Likes

A way to respawn could be cool. Or set map boundaries. After flying towards the sun for a few minutes, and then realizing I wasn’t getting any closer, it took me a while to get back to the action.

1 Like

Ugh, I just realized I should have named my username Icarus. What a waste of an opportunity.

2 Likes
  • Game was fun!
  • Am I supposed to be able to fly into the giant world mother ships, rocks, and other obstacles to dodge bullets?
  • Am I supposed to be able to fly through other people’s ships?
  • The WASD controls did so little. Should I be able to strafe more?
  • Liked the H to turn of the HUD!
  • It would be nice to know the scrollbar did the same Forward and Reverse as F and R in the HUD. Scrollbar was way easier to use.
  • B button was a little far from the WASD controls to be comfortable.
  • It would be nice to have the rolling get faster the more you hold down Q or E (for future versions)
  • The visual representation of your movement at the bottom is awesome!
  • Overall fun experience. Thanks for the open play test!
1 Like

Managed to get into the play test fine, albeit a bit late, no hitches, pilot created easily enough:

• flight movement and handling was smooth enough, managed to keep track of other ships ok and no real problems with firing and movement although it was difficult working out if your evading someone or getting hit by a spray of fire.
  • using a fairly non-recent pc (older core 2 duo and a older Radeon R7 260X, chrome on ubuntu 20.04) mainly to try and target a bottom end spec’d machine as I do a bit of webgl too, and things felt not too bad; given the framerate would have been than the average gaming pc spec, thought I’d mention whether its useful or not.
  • no issues with sound

Super easy to get my pilot signed up and into the game play, that was great. I agree with some comments above that the WASD keys did not seem to do much at all. I did have some frame rate lag especially towards the middle when there were a lot of people playing. My biggest grievance was my dpi on my mouse was pretty high and I was jumping all over the screen at first, I think some warning of that could be helpful before game play. Ultimately really enjoyed it. Thanks!!

Top 25 player results from playtest

Pos Player Name Shots Fired Shots Hit Accuracy Kills
1 @PsychoRomeo 155,552 88,407 56.8% 103
2 @Awesome 118,176 71,725 60.7% 70
3 @pazzo 106,528 31,087 29.2% 37
4 Jago 119,136 41,804 35.1% 32
5 @GM_Cerberus 59,360 32,950 55.5% 29
6 Sylvis 165,120 33,412 20.2% 26
7 @Moskauzer 139,200 30,813 22.1% 22
8 Zoomey Guy 108,032 22,228 20.6% 16
9 Nogrod 147,968 17,194 11.6% 15
10 @GM_thundercat 75,616 17,467 23.1% 11
11 Broseph Stalin 107,264 13,177 12.3% 10
12 @Regnadp 108,736 13,212 12.2% 9
13 Zangorian 25,152 8,589 34.1% 7
14 @GM_stormcrow 21,088 3,930 18.6% 4
15 DJ Josh in da house 56,736 4,081 7.2% 3
16 Eowan 184,000 5,522 3.0% 2
17 @Asvenger 94,432 5,119 5.4% 2
18 Simonascent 141,280 4,315 3.1% 2
19 DaKeyster 64,160 1,404 2.2% 2
20 oreo 28,416 2,279 8.0% 1
21 @kraik 18,880 2,094 11.1% 1
22 @ubluntu 78,272 3,188 4.1% 0
23 @CLI 107,712 2,637 2.4% 0
24 @Jejune 32,704 463 1.4% 0
25 King 83,008 448 0.5% 0
2 Likes

Hey Garuluth,

Sorry to hear you had issues! TC will be in touch with you shortly to try and diagnose what that was about.

heh; we’re actually a tiny independent game company! We do, ofc, work closely with Microsoft on lots of things, from .NET to Service Fabric, but we’re not part of the MS group!

Hope we can sort out your control input issue, and hopefully see you next time.

Best,

SC

Hey PR!

Hmm, sounds maybe related to the issue Garuluth had. TC will be in touch to try and diagnose the control input issue.

Yep, ‘H’ to remove the HUD has always been there, and we’re aware it doesn’t cope well with death (you have to press tab, then ‘H’ to get the respawn page atm). This will be fixed shortly!

Should be some stats in this post!

Best,

SC

Welcome, Moskauzer!

Delighted everything worked smoothly for you.

You killed 22 (or so the stats tell me!) - hope to see you on the next playtest.

Best,

SC

Welcome, DoL

heh; yep the planet is actually part of the skybox, and is unreachable…

All planets are flat! Not just in AoA, but in actual RL! I thought everyone knew that. :wink:

See you in the next playtest.

SC

Heyya Asv,

Obv q - did you check spam folder for password reset mail? If it’s not there, please do let us know, and we can look into it further.

Glad you enjoyed the play and the gfx, and see you next time!

Best,

SC

Did you have a joystick or gamepad attached; looks like we may have a conflict where that seizes control overriding keyboard+mouse so will have to allow more cooperative control.

Hey Regnadp,

Glad it was all smooth for you. Collision damage isn’t currently a feature, and we’re still having an internal debate on whether it should be, or not.

Target selection / lock and radar should hopefully be in the next playtest.

See you next time!

SC

Glad you liked the extra controls. On the framerate side, is there any chance you could run (if you haven’t already) a dxdiag or similar, if - perchance - you’re not a Windows user :wink: and also a https://webglreport.com/?v=2 and send me both outputs? Either PM here or email to stormcrow@illyriad.co.uk

Many, many thanks in advance.

SC

Hey Simona,

LOL. I’m very glad that’s the case!

Thrilled you enjoyed it, and hope to see you next time round!

Best,

SC

Heyya pazzo,

Sshhh, don’t tell anybody… but simply hitting refresh (F5) on your browser will respawn you back in the centre of the map. Obv this is temporary, otherwise anyone losing a battle could simply disappear into the ether :slight_smile:

Yes, yes you should have :smiley:

See you next time!

SC

Glad you enjoyed it, LTI!

heh, we haven’t turned LOCD (Large Object Collision Detection) on right now, as it’s easier to test without. However, you can tell we’re actually doing the detection by the bullet ricochets off the space stations etc. We’re just not bouncing you off them and/or inflicting collision damage - at the moment.

WASD/strafe are dependent on the particular ship hull. Different ship hulls, and different modules applied to any particular ship loadout, will have different modifiers to elements such as spatial translations etc. So - in the future - if you want more strafe translation - there’ll be things to fit your ship with (at, ofc, the opportunity cost of other module slots).

By scrollbar, I think you mean mousewheel?! If so, glad you liked it!

We’re certainly going to allow players their own keybindings in the future.

We don’t currently have inertia turned on; as things are right now, you can come to a full stop on a dime. This is actually a much better test of the systems in terms of interpolating positional data. Inertia can be used to hide a multitude of server-sync issues (much like wind-up animations in most other MMOs), and so we’re deliberately running without inertia atm. However, inertia is certainly going to be added to all ships in the future (eg a massive cargo carrier shouldn’t have the same 0-60km/h as an interceptor!).

Really glad you enjoyed it, and really look forward to seeing you next time!

SC

Heyya kraik,

Thanks v much for playing, and for your feedback.

Delighted it ran smooth enough for you. We will be adding specific directional indicators for incoming fire, so you know from which direction you’re being hit.

Fab that it ran OK on a reasonably old-ish spec box. Any data you might have collected (or can in the future) on framerate etc would be super-useful.

See you next time!

SC